1. The course of developmental changes through which an organism passes from its inception through the stage at which it reproduces.
2. A progression through a series of differing stages of development: the life cycle of a star.
3. The span of a product’s existence from its initial development through the period of marketing and active use to eventual obsolescence.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Biology) the series of changes occurring in an animal or plant between one development stage and the identical stage in the next generation
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the sequence of developmental changes undergone by an organism from one primary form, as a gamete, to the recurrence of the same form in the next generation.
2. a series of stages, as childhood and middle age, that characterize the course of existence of an individual, group, or culture.
Random House Kernerman Webster’s College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The series of changes in the growth and development of an organism from its beginning as an independent life form to its mature state in which offspring are produced. In simple organisms, such as bacteria, the life cycle begins when an organism is produced by fission and ends when that organism in turn divides into two new ones. In more complex organisms, the life cycle starts with the fusion of reproductive cells and ends when that organism produces its own reproductive cells, which then may go on to reproduce.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The total phases through which an item passes from the time it is initially developed until the time it is either consumed in use or disposed of as being excess to all known materiel requirements.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
The sequence of events between the start of one generation and the start of the next.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited